NC Triangle Food Workers
Resources and Action
Updated 2:00 PM 3/22/20
See here for Greensboro, NC Food Resources
ACTION: Sign and share this petition to legislators led by
NC United for Survival and Beyond & Down Home NC
ACTION: The Independent Restaurant Coalition’s Save Local Restaurants initiative
Apply for Unemployment
N.C. Department of Commerce’s website: www.des.nc.gov or call 888-737-0259 between 8 am and 4:30 pm M-F. Apply in person at a NC Works Career Center office: the “Find a center” page and go to the website’s “Center closures” page.
Info about whether you qualify can be found online here.
Tipped Workers Crowdsourced Funds:
From the organizers: email: [email protected] with the subject "Assistance". There will be a brief process to verify employment, and aid will be distributed on a first come first serve basis after verification has taken place.
Open to those who have experienced wage disruption or lay offs in the restaurant industry: wait staff, bartenders, hosts, manangers, delivery drivers, cooks, catering staff, dishwashers
3) Curryblossom Cafe’s worker fund.
SUPPORT FOOD CHAIN WORKERS:
Advocate for paid leave and health benefits for all regardless of work or immigration status.
- Support immediate unemployment benefits for all hourly and salaried workers furloughed during this crisis
- Eliminate payroll tax for the period of the crisis and the pay-cycles immediately following
- Call for rent, loan, and utility abatement for businesses and workers impacted by restaurant and bar closures
- Please echo these requests in your letter and add your personal story about why this matters to you.”
Call your Representative and your Senators at: 202-224-3121. Advocate for food chain workers to be included in the federal stimulus plan.
SUPPORT INDEPENDENT LIVING WAGE CERTIFIED RESTAURANTS
Living Wage-Certified Businesses currently doing take out service as of March 22, 2020:
See here for info on Durham Distillery’s sanitizing solution donation program